The North Carolina Senior Medicare Patrol (NCSMP) Program is housed within the Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) at the North Carolina Department of Insurance. NCSMP is a preventive educational program whose goal is to reduce Medicare/Medicaid error, fraud, and abuse through statewide coordinated efforts of educational and promotional activities and to encourage reporting of discrepancies by Medicare/Medicaid beneficiaries and caregivers to the NCSMP Program. NCSMP’s purpose is to educate Medicare/Medicaid beneficiaries and caregivers about Medicare/Medicaid benefits in order to understand Medicare Statements such as Medicare Summary Notices, Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) Explanations of Benefits (EOB), and other related health care statements. Through this knowledge, a person can identify, resolve, and/or report possible billing errors, fraud, abuse, and waste to NCSMP.
- to review your Medicare Statements.
- to protect your Medicare Number.
- to not be influenced by advertisements for services, medications, or products that sound “too good to be true.”
- to educate yourself about your Medicare benefits.
- that rarely are Medicare services “free.”
- that Medicare does not solicit door-to-door.
For more information contact...
Armeta Coley, NCSMP Coordinator